Peter and I have had a tough few weeks (emotionally, lots of memories and thoughts coming up about darling Leroy) so it felt extra good to get the trees into the ground! It's another thing that has been on our list for a seemingly very long time.
Dylan has been an amazing team member, and with the beautiful sunshine it's been lots of fun. He is really into picnics, so we had afternoon tea on a picnic rug near the trees we were planting. It was divine. Not long after that a beautiful rainbow came out. It stayed for a very long time, and we talked about Leroy, how much we missed him, and how the rainbow was his way of saying hello to us.
Many people have asked about Dylan and how he has fared with his brother having such a severe brain injury and then dying. So I am going to assume that many others have wondered but not asked, so here goes. Dylan is going fabulously. He gets sad sometimes when he thinks about Leroy and looks at his photos, and he asks us questions which sometimes are hard to answer, and he is wonderful. I think because Peter and I have been very open and honest about everything (ie no whispering and hiding things from him), he has taken it all in his stride.
He understands that crying is ok (ie there's nothing wrong), and being sad is ok, and that it's all part of loving, and part of the cycle of life - 'just like the chook died', he sometimes says. Dylan was with us when Leroy died, and when we brought Leroy back home with us after he died. When we were at the crematorium, Dylan planted a very wet kiss on Leroy's face (no prompting I might add) - the photos of Leroy show the wet spot on Leroy's cheek very clearly, and Dylan commented "oooh, he's cold".
As I look out at our friendship garden, our vegie garden and fruit trees, I am reminded of the amazing support we have had and continue to receive. All the plants that were given to us in memory of Leroy, our wonderful friends who coordinated and got us organised, our friends who helped dig our plants into the ground, who helped build our new vegie garden and seating area (including shoveling, wheel-barrowing and spreading 10 cubic metres of crushed rock) and so, so many other things.I also think about the incredible financial contribution we have received from so many. We still have money in Leroy's bank account for planting more trees as we get to them.... it has been phenomenal and we cannot thank you all enough. Our living, growing memory of Leroy has been possible because of you.

Thank you for sharing how Dylan is doing and how being open and including him in the whole experience has allowed him to integrate it so beautifully. I love the rainbow as Leory's greeting. That is exquisite!
ReplyDelete