Our beautiful Leroy suffered severe brain damage during his birth on 21st March 2012. Leroy's fight ended on 19th October 2012, when he died peacefully in our arms, just short of being 7 months old.

This is our story of Loving Leroy.

We hope that it will provide information and support to others who may be in a similar situation.

Friday, 10 August 2012

Liquid Gold

We think that my breast milk has a lot deal to do with Leroy staying well and out of hospital. The medical staff at the Royal Children's Hospital predicted that Leroy would be back in hospital in a jiffy with some kind of infection/flu thing. To date (and please please let this blog not jinx us!) it has been over three months that Leroy has been home with us in the middle of winter, and Leroy has had two snotty nose/colds and gotten through them quite well.

My faithful breast milk pump and associated gear
I have been blessed with a very strong milk supply and even through the most stressful periods it has not reduced. So I have been expressing my breast milk since the day Leroy was born, and apart from the TPN (an intravenously administered nutrition mixture) and lipids he was given in his first week in hospital, he has only had my breast milk.

I have also been able to donate my spare frozen breast milk to 5 other babies, including two sets of twins, which I am thrilled to be able to do. The hospitals involved have not made this easy. I had blood tests to show that I did not have any diseases that would be passed on to the babies, and still they give parents a very hard time about using donated milk. Let's hope this changes in time.

Breast milk has some amazing and truly wonderful qualities and it has been doing a brilliant job at protecting Leroy from infection, as well as being the perfect food for him and his growing body.  I think an important part of it for me is that I feel like I am able to provide love and nourishment for Leroy through my breast milk even though he cannot drink straight from my breasts.

The view from my primary
pumping place
So life occurs in 3- 3.5 hour blocks ie when I need to express again! I have become an even better planner (ie where will I be when I need to express again, and will I be able to express easily) and it's now part of my every day life. My new pump is far more portable with a re-chargeable battery, and I am now able to get longer breaks at night between expressing, which means longer than 2.5 hours of sleep at a time, woohooo!

I am so thankful to have such great support from Peter. He makes sure I get extra rest, and he is always acknowledging me for my commitment to providing Leroy with my breast milk through expressing. I also have had amazing breastfeeding support from family and friends, not to mention expert advice from my sister Katrina, and my friend Sam, who are breastfeeding counsellors. Thank you all, I could not have done it without you!


2 comments:

  1. Keep up the goodwork guys. You are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so very encouraging, thank you for sharing your journey. I know it's not necessarily easy to pump, but you are doing a great job in providing all that you can for your Leroy.

    ReplyDelete